4.24.2011

The Twins

I grew up skateboarding. Between the ages of 8 and 18 my wallpaper was shots from Thrasher, Skateboarder and TW Skateboarding. I was never that good though. I could kickflip a small stair set or work my way around a mini-ramp, but I never got crazy with it. I just enjoyed rolling around and getting into trouble with my friends. At 13, when I made the switch from skis to a snowboard, the skateboarding shots on my wall became intertwined with big Alaskan powder fields and dudes throwing huge airs in the snow. I lived, ate and breathed snowboarding during my teen years. In fact, I skipped a math final one time because the mountain had gotten 15 inches of snow the night before and the skies had cleared up allowing the backside of Mt. Bachelor to be open for the first time of the season. It was a no brainer. Now, as a 30 year old, the last decade of my life has been enveloped by surf. After growing up part-time in Maui, I have always had a great connection with the ocean and always loved being in it. It has always consumed me in one way or another. But this is permanent. Waves are now a huge facet of what I truly live for and surfing is my life. Period. However, I still love a good powder day and a couple of my best buds have a private mini ramp that I often shred alone. My roots are intact and watching the video below reminded me of how good growing up as a little skateboarding punk was. These kids are destined to feel the same someday.


The Twins from skatefairy on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment